The brewery at the Westmalle Trappist Monastery was
built in 1836 and production was reserved for its monks until 1856 when they
began selling it at the door of the abbey. Thanks to the increased
demand, the Abbey and its brewery were progressively
enlarged between 1865 and 1897.
In 1921, the monks decided to sell their beer through traders, rapidly
increasing sales. Consequently, they expanded and
modernized the facilities in the early 1930s with a new brewery
to face this success.
Between 1956 and 1968, the bottling plant was updated and
the abbey was equipped with a water treatment plant. In 1991, the first
computer brewing systems were installed. The long, distinguished
history of the Westmalle Abbey continues, but the traditions of
quality and purity remain unchanged.